Friday, May 25, 2007

Good news and Bad news often come in pairs

21st September, 2004


I woke up at 6 a.m.
Angel's mother fetched me to the train station. I thanked her for hospitality and said goodbye.

I took the train to Nurnberg instead of a direct train to Frankfurt. This is because at 9 a.m. El-Al offices would open and I'd be able to find out about the flight. That way, if it's canceled, I'd spare myself 3-4 hours of drive and some Euros, considering the expensive train fares.

At 9 a.m. El-Al offices said that there most likely won't be any flights to Israel today and that I should call again in 2 hours.

Since I had 2 hours of free time, I decided I'd walk around and explore the city. I had to stop by at the restroom first...

The restroom at Nurnberg's train station is one of the most expensive restrooms I've ever been in. The entrance fee was 1.75 Euros. It's not that much money, but it is, if all you ever wanna do is take a leak! The restroom itself looks very modern in its style, but it's not like there are big screen TVs on the walls, or some strippers dancing on top of the water tanks!

But on a second thought, if you look at the restrooms of Tel Aviv's central bus station and think about the fact that you have to pay a shekel to enter such a filthy, nauseous place, you'll realize that it'd probably take a fortune to make it look decent again and maintain it on a daily basis.

I couldn't go too far from the train station as I'd been carrying my bags with me. Just outside the train station there was a beautiful view of the city. *Sigh* I wish I had a month or two to explore this whole country...

I bought myself some food, visited another Muller's shopping center and purchased some old music CDs which were surprisingly cheap. The time was 11 a.m. I called the office again and this time they've confirmed there won't be any flights to Israel today!!! Oh yes! Another day with Angel! :)

Angel... I wonder how you will react when you see me back... :)

I thought I could reach her apartment before she gets home from school and surprise her. I wrote a note in German: I love you, Angel! I'm BACK! :) I thought maybe I'll stick it to the entrance door (I couldn't enter the building or her apartment since I no longer had the key) and when she reads it, I'll sneak in behind her and hold her tight in my arms!

When I approached the entrance, I decided to ring first to see that she's not home yet. The door suddenly opened, somebody was at home... Nobody asked who I am in the intercom. They just opened the door for me. I started walking up the stairs and as I looked up, I saw Angel on the third floor, looking down at me... How will she react?

I expected nothing more than her joy and happiness, but what I got was the exact opposite of it. She had a disappointed face. To confirm her disappointment I heard her say: "Oh no."

I was shocked! I slowed down my tempo, not certain if I should keep on walking up the stairs.
Doesn't she want to see me? Could it be that she regrets meeting me in the first place? Maybe I should be her, if she doesn't want me to... These thoughts crossed my mind as I was walking up the stairs to meet her.

When I reached the 3rd floor, she explained to me the reasons for her disappointment: She went out of the house to check who's coming when the door to her apartment closed and locked her outside... again! She was barefoot, wearing her home clothes. I was glad at least to know that she was not disappointed to see me. Maybe I'd have reacted the same way, who knows...

Her mother has arrived a while later and opened the door. If there was someone who didn't seem happy to see me, it was her mother. She told me she's checked if there are flights to Israel and it appears that there are! She didn't believe me and thought it was irresponsible of me to stay in Germany with such an excuse. I told her I'm gonna call the offices of El-Al now and prove it to her, but my phone had stopped working for some reason. I felt unwelcome.

A while later, her mother came to me and said that she's checked again and that I was right, there are no flights to Israel. She suggested that I take a train to the airport, stay there and wait for a flight home, because it might take me 4-6 hours just to get to Frankfurt.

My mother suggested me that if I happen to have a trouble and/or need a place to stay, I could take a train to Bonn where my cousin lives.

I told Angel that I can go to Bonn and stay at my cousin's place in case there's a problem of me staying here for a night. Angel asked her mom about it and her mother had extended her hospitality for another day. :)

During the evening, I helped Angel with Math homework. I have to admit, it shocks me every time whenever she tells me about her exam results. I've no doubt that she can do much better. She has a potential to be an excellent student, I know it!

I'd barely spent any time with her this day. She's been doing homework, talking on the phone for hours (while I was next to her, looking at her with sad eyes, wishing she would hang up just so I could kiss her one more time and spend another minute with her in my arms) and watching a TV series with her mother before going to bed. I was alone in her room watching the movie "Sunshine" on DVD. For most of this day I'd been thinking about the huge differences between us.

She is everything to me! I was seriously considering staying here, preferring her over my family and friends. I spent a lot of money just to be with her for a week, bought her a lot of presents just to see her smiling at me. She matters to me more than anything! I feel like no one really cares about me and my feelings but her. Is that really so? Does she really care? Are our feelings as mutual as I believed them to be?

I should contain my disappointment and enjoy the last hours of my stay. I'm not willing to give up. I spent a year and a half dreaming about an ideal relationship and I love her way too much to let her go. Do we love each other equally? I seriously doubt it. All I've left is to hope that what she said is true - that deep down inside she has feelings that she doesn't show to people, and that one of those feelings... is a strong love towards me.

7 comments:

nominally challenged said...

Ouch, what an unpleasant day. I'm not sure how I would have felt to receive such a cold response, but I'm sure that I would have been confused by it ...

But I can't wait to find out what happens next!!!

And I'm comforted by the fact that things must have turned out well for you one way or the other, otherwise you wouldn't be able to write this for us ...

:)

Tsedek said...

Oops sweetie ;-) that was not a nice last impression to take with you back home.

When you wrote she looked disappointed when you returned I was sure it was because she was expecting 'someone' else :D
So, compared to that tho, it was not so bad, huh? :D

Noam said...

That's what I was thinking, Tse..
But maybe she was expecting someone else, and was just leaving to go meet him (and actually forgot to take the key with her)..?

I think all of this cold response on her part is from having a blown up, super-idealized expectation of israelidiary, and as cute, smart, and romantic as he actually is, it might still pale in comparison to her fantasies.. I'm speaking from personal Internet-chat experience ;). Either way, totally frustrating and disappointing to go all the way to Germany to visit your long-awaited love to find in her stead a virtual kubiyat kerah ("ice cube," i.e. frigid chick) in her stead.

IsraeliDiary said...

Nominally, thanks. :)

Tse, no she definitely wasn't. But you're right - when things go bad, it doesn't mean it couldn't have been worse. :)

Noam, she was barefoot and she'd already changed into her home clothes. :)

I understand what you're saying. During chat conversations everything seems to be so perfect. But you're willing to do everything that's in your power to make it work the same way in real life.

Can we actually do that?

When I promised her I'll wait for her for 3 years until I finish the army, I told myself it was time to prove that when it comes to love, nothing is impossible! ;)

You can wait for years for the one you love, you can fly a thousand miles just to see that person, and you can work out a stable, lasting relationship which could make you happy for a long, long time. It all depends on the two of you.

That's what I wanted to prove myself and my "friends", who were making fun of my crazy ideas and calling me naive. The lack of support that I received from everyone around me had only encouraged me to go all the way and eventually prove them wrong. Did I succeed? :) You'll know that later. :P

Tsedek said...

Noam I know a few people that got actually married while they met through internet. And, we don't know if IsraeliSoldier here is married now with her either, do we? :D

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

u keep us intrigued don't u ...:)
I bet, u are happily married with her today with a couple of babies to prove ur love for each other too :)

jokes aside, isn't being in love the best thing to happen to one...its achingly beautiful to be in love...:)

IsraeliDiary said...

Moi, you're absolutely right - Love is certainly the best thing that can happen to us! :)

It saddens me to know that some people do not believe in love and/or have never experienced it.