Friday, April 13, 2007

A quiet night at Beit Ula

4th September, 2004


I was guarding at the bunker of our base when Anton came and replaced me. I wondered why he did it so early, it was still my shift... He said I was chosen to be part of an arrest operation.

We trained for a while and departed after 3 hours. Wearing ceramic vests and loaded guns we arrived at Beit-Ula at 2am in the armored Safari.

All the soldiers left the Safari as quietly as possible, everyone took their positions around the house. The streets were totally deserted. Me, Or and Kobi had to go around the street to the back side of the house and cover for any possible attempts of escape. Or and Kobi faced the house, covering the windows and the roof. I was assigned to watch the alley for any unwanted guests, or whatever.

It was the first time I took part in such an operation. Most soldiers prefer these kind of things over regular guarding shifts. I don't know... It's exciting, that I admit. You can later go and tell your friends about all the cool things you've done in the army. Not like anyone gives a shit. But I don't like to see people getting arrested, see their families crying, or worse - seeing somebody get shot. I wouldn't want to witness such things, especially if I were to remember it all for the rest of my life.

But there I was, sitting at the assigned position, pointing my gun and ready for anything. I felt tense and nervous. My legs hurt from long time of kneeling. I had to keep shifting weight from one leg to another in order to relieve the pain.

It was so quiet that I could hear somebody snoring. After a short while, I heard Raleb shout: "Yiftah el bab!" (Open the door). He tried again and again, screaming louder, but nobody opened the door. Then I suddenly saw some movement in the alley. Some black shadow moving quickly in the night... How relieved I was to find out it was just a cat. Then a man's shadow appeared. After a second or two I could see him wearing a casket, a weapon in his hand. I asked: "Who is it?"
"Relax. I'm a soldier." - It was a driver. Although they're not combat soldiers, they're always eager to take part in all the action.

Several seconds later, the quiet atmosphere was interrupted by an explosion. It was a shock grenade thrown into the house. There was still no reply. No one opened the door.

The man we came to arrest stole a M-16 weapon from a settlement called Efrat. There were other 2 teams from another platoon (Officer's course platoon) who surrounded the house of his parents in a village called Hidna, in case he's spending the weekend there.

Our team was not authorized to break into the house so we left the village and arrested no one.

It appeared that there were some people sleeping on the roofs of these houses. One of the guys woke up from the noise and came down to say hello to the soldiers. He said that the guy we came to arrest stays at his parents' place. I don't know if he was arrested by the other platoon, but most likely he was.

After the operation, I'd been told that Yoav, who was part of the frontal "breaking-in" team, had thrown a grenade into the house without removing the safety pin! lol!
Basically, apart from the stolen M-16, the guy has a grenade now, as a gift from IDF. That is, if he hasn't been arrested yet.

At 3:45 we were back. At 9 I had to go to the kitchen and work there until 2:30pm. Then I had to get ready to leave for the pillbox.

We didn't stay for long at the pillbox. At 3-4am we were replaced by soldiers from the 2nd battery. Due to the current situation in Hebron, the 2nd battery will be assigned to this pillbox from now on.

When the commander of the incoming team was briefed about his duties in this pillbox - he didn't like the part requiring him to open the gate for humanitarian and international vehicles and other special cases: "I ain't no opening it to nobody! F**k them!"

Yeah, right! He'll probably have no choice but to open the gate. Yet, I may never know how much trouble this commander and soldiers from his problematic battery will cause. It's such a sensitive period, especially tough for the local Palestinian population. I know he might not care about Palestinians, but I hope he knows what responsibility lies in his hands - he controls the gate through which Hebron receives supplies of food and other humanitarian aid.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It's exciting, that I admit. You can later go and tell your friends about all the cool things you've done in the army".
I think that this is pathetic. Out of any morals. Violence is not entertainment at all.You are just justifying the "fun" that Nazis had while chasing Jews and burning them!

IsraeliDiary said...

What exactly is out of morals here?
Preventing Palestinian militants from acquiring stolen weapons?

I'm sorry, but I don't see the analogy here. How exactly do I justify the Nazi atrocities?

Did I harm any innocent civilians?

Nizo said...

anonymous,

Your Nazi analogy is cheap and disgusting.

Unlike the Nazis, the IDF with all of its imperfections and heavy handedness is not out to exterminate anyone.

As a Palestinian let me say that before suicide bombings there were far less roadblocks and IDF soldiers in the West Bank. Palestinians entered Israel much more freely and many worked and earned a living there. Then came a violent and evil minority of monsters who blew up buses and restaurants and practically invited more troops into the territories.

Most (if not all) Israelis I speak to hate the idea of having to serve in the territories, and frankly I would love for our leadership to be able to articulate their demands in ways that do not involve maiming civilians. Only then will we remove the need for IDF roadblocks.

ثلاثاء said...

In one of the discussions I had with a Jewish friend about Checkpoints, he mentioned something like "we used to take photos of us while pointing M-16 on a Palestinian old man in order to show it to our friends." He thought that this was funny. But when he saw that I didn't laugh, he realized what power can do :)

Anonymous said...

I knew this example might cause a misunderstanding. But violence is never fun. Stop watching those American exciting movies of war.
Have you asked your self why that guy would steal a gun? Because he has no other way to fight for his freedom.
Reading those words "It's exciting, that I admit. You can later go and tell your friends about all the cool things you've done in the army" just pissed me of since they are out of any humanity. It is totally not fun to see torture of others.

To the Nizo thing,
I'm not a Palestinian, nor an Israeli, but I know if I were one of them, I wouldn't be lost like you in the "Who am I?" :)

Nizo said...

Anonymous,

I would like to address your statement:

"Have you asked your self why that guy would steal a gun? Because he has no other way to fight for his freedom."

The Palestinians have been fighting with guns and bombs for a very long time and it has not only brought us misery but has also corrupted us as a society. Take a look at Gaza and how guns have been used against other Palestinians. By the same (twisted) logic above, suicide bombings and rocket attacks on Sderot can be justified as "expressions of freedom". The main losers from all of this belligerence are the Palestinians themselves. Israel continues to exist and flourish despite these attacks, while the Palestinians rot from the inside. In the "About me" section that you have criticized, I advocate a different approach of resistance that involves peaceful means. Since you do not belong to one of the parties of the conflict, you have the luxury to sit on your behind and justify the actions of my country's terrorists. I don't, because I have family rotting in the camps for 60 years now, and they are are still there, paying for the same belligerent attitude that you have so kindly justified.

Furthermore, I think it shows a complete lack of morals and sophistication to use the Holocaust in any comparison with the IDF. My own family members suffered at the hands of Haganah/IDF and I still would not use such a comparison to make my point across. Such statements only add to the white noise of anti-Semitic and anti-Israel hysteria that desensitizes Israelis and makes them impervious to rather valid criticism of their army.

"It is totally not fun to see torture of others. "

Of course it isn't , in case you took the time to read this gentleman's blog, you would realize that he is a very sensitive and caring individual who certainly does not need an insect like you to come and preach to him about what's morally right.

That said, have a nice day, since I'm lost, I need to go find myself

;-)

Tsedek said...

I agree with Nizo :)

Lirun said...

כפארה

:)

Andrey said...

ahahahahahaaahaaha! (@Nizo)