Friday, March 30, 2007

Inevitable Bureaucracy

18th August, 2004


It was a beautiful Wednesday morning. My mother called me and asked me which of the flights do I wish to book: (2pm) 14/09 -> 20/09 for $480 or (9am) 13/09-20/09 for $600 (last ticket). I chose the second one, for every minute I spend with her is worth every $ I pay! I SMSed Angel and informed her of the great news.

At noon, my mother called me again. She told me she had ordered the first one, because the second flight had no available tickets anymore. I was disappointed, but then she told me I can switch it once other options are available. I can even ask the flight agency to do it automatically, if possible.

I got Dror's phone number now. He's the guy who tried to fax the papers to my mom so she could forward it to Ariel - an IDF major who said he could get things moving if I give him the papers. Apparently, Dror wrote down the wrong number of my mom's fax at work, but now it's too late since my mom's not at work anymore. She's flying abroad tomorrow.

I asked him to see if all the details in the papers are correct. If they are, send it to the field security for a signature. After he'd done it, he left me a voice message with detailed vacation regulations. (Whenever you're released home, officers make sure you've got all the necessary items - a dog tag, your military ID card and even first aid kit. They ask if everyone can get home by public transportation (hitching is a ride is strictly forbidden due to the risk of abduction), they ask us not to drink and drive and all the other things our mommies and daddies tell us whenever we take their car on the weekends. Of course, if you're going abroad these things are irrelevant. Dror just told me that if I have any problems I can call the Israeli embassy.

After listening to his message I called him and asked if there are any other obstacles left before I'm officially released to Germany. He said: "No, not if your application's approved by the regiment's commander. Was it?" "I don't know. Gil, my battery commander, probably made sure he did. He gave me the "ok" and the dates." "Alright. I'll find out." "Thank you."

A few hours later Lital (the military service terms worker who gave me the application papers) called me and said that I wrote down the wrong dates - 13/08-20/08! She told me to talk to Dror, for there's another problem he'll tell me about. When I called him, he told me that the regiment's commander had rejected my application which means I'm not allowed to fly abroad!
It's probably because I didn't write a proper explanation of my business outside Israel. The only explanation I'd written there was "My girlfriend lives in Germany".

Dror said we should start a new application and write a more convincing explanation this time.
I composed a letter with all the possible reasons, explaining him about my special relationship with Angel. I also sought Or's advice, but he couldn't be of any help.

My mom advised me to contact Ariel, but he wouldn't pick up the phone. After a while I finally managed to contact him. He told me I should call him the moment the regiment's commander reads my application form. They're officers of the same rank. He could convince him. I wonder if that wouldn't have the opposite effect.

Dror said I should give the letter to Lital so she would attach it to the application. He thinks it can really change the whole picture. I sure hope so.

But Lital didn't answer her phone. Tomorrow's thursday - all the desk-work soldiers go home and I'll have to wait until Sunday.

Angel received me earlier SMS and replied: "That's so great that you're coming, especially on 13th and not on 14th, because I can meet you and fetch you. 14th is when my schoolyear starts."

I informed her of the "latest developments" but assured her that everything will be just fine.

2 comments:

nominally challenged said...

The suspense ...!!!!

But I can't imagine the suspense you must have been in!

Waiting with baited breath for the next installment...

IsraeliDiary said...

Thank you :)

Your comments make me want to keep writing.

May you have a wonderful weekend.