Friday, July 21, 2006

Fallen victims of hatred and politics - The war in Lebanon

I should put my diary aside for a while and write about my military service later. I thought perhaps I should share my thoughts about the ongoing war between Hezbollah and Israel...

I've read several blogs and have been active in forums (topix.net) and I was glad to see that there are so many good people all around the world who are smart enough to understand the situation in the middle east, to see the truth amidst the lies, to rationalize and put anger & hatred aside.

The Lebanese and the Israeli people have a lot in common. Both sides want peace. Both sides suffer from the outcome of this war. (Although more Lebanese civilians get killed than Israeli) Many here may disagree, but Israelis express deep regret regarding the civilian deaths in Lebanon. We're all human beings, death of innocent people is tragic for all of us. I wish there was a way to prevent innocent people from dying, if only Hezbollah didn't operate within civilian houses...

To all the Lebanese citizens and the Northern Israeli citizens, I pray for your safety. Please take care of yourselves, and your families.

To all the injured civilians on both sides - I pray for your fast recovery.

To all the families who have lost their loved ones, I grieve over your tragic loss. It is incomprehensible. Let us pray that they're in a better place, a safe one and a peaceful one.

To everyone who reads this: Whoever you are, whatever your point of view on this war is, whether you agree with my opinion or not, let us all agree on one thing: There shall be no room for hatred in this world. Hatred includes racism, anti-semitism, anti-Islamism and so on. Hatred leads to wars, to injustice and to ruthless killing. Whatever we do or say, let it come from our rational thinking rather than from our anger and despisal. We're all equal human beings in this world. Although we may have different points of view, we all want peace. The only people who don't want peace are people who hate. So let us not hate and let our children not know what hatred is. Amen.

Let me finish with an optimistic suggestion on ending this war:
Once the Lebanese get enough courage to fight Hezbollah, Israel would withdraw its Army and cease fire. Instead, it would help the Lebanese - it would give them weapons and money. Then Lebanon would see what are Israel's true intentions. ;)

2 comments:

Zahii said...

Peace.
I have to write a short story for college and I was at a loss at what to write. A friend suggested writing about Palestine and my brother told me this would be really cliche. So I thought maybe I should do a sort of story reflecting the perspective of an Israeli soldier, as this is not usually looked at.
I googled this and found your blog. I expected to read the thoughts of an anti-islam israeli soldier and so in reading your blog, I've become intrigued.
As ignorant and biased as this makes me seem, I was extremely surprised when the concept of soldiers just being ordinary people became apparent, especially and Israeli soldier.
I'm a Pakistani Muslim myself and I'm surrounded by many anti-semitics and anti-israel people. Personally, I'm not necessarily against Israel or Jews, but simply for Palistine, if that makes sense, although reading your blog and seeing my reaction has made me realise how prejudiced I am.
You're an extremely interesting subject and I think your blog is amazing. Keep doing what you're doing, and I hope you've enlightened many others like me.

IsraeliDiary said...

Hi Emerald Umbrella,

I was very glad to read your words. And yes, you being for Palestine does make sense.

I used to be biased too, until I met a very nice and polite Palestinian man on the Internet.

Then I could no longer look at Palestinians in black and white. He opened my eyes without even realizing it and I owe him a lot for that.

Thank you for your wishes and for reading my blog, and good luck with writing your college story! ;)