Friday, August 24, 2007

Fast Forward

After the last entry, I've stopped writing in my diary for about 3 months, however I still remember the more significant events of that preiod of time...






























The Car Assault

About a mile ahead of the roadblock, an Israeli car was assaulted by a Palestinian gunman. Luckily, no one got hurt. The windows were broken and the driver had managed to escape the assault, get to the roadblock and alarm the soldiers.

I was at the base at the time. It was at around 8pm in the evening. The alarm sounded from the communications room, the battery's commander team was, as always, the first to react.

Another team was assembled, due to the severity of this event. By the time we got there, there were already dozens of soldiers walking all around the place. Shattered pieces of glass lay on the closed road. Bullet casings and projectiles were found at the scene.

Our regiment's commander was also there. There were various forces from all over the place. A few minutes later, we joined our battery's commander and his team, and headed to a nearby village, located just about 150 meters north of the road.

We walked silently in the night, watching each other's backs and ready for anything.

As we reached the first few houses, some of us stayed to watch the road, the others entered the houses and started asking people whether they saw or heard anything. As expected, people denied having any knowledge of the incident.

I was the one watching the road. Some cars would pass by, we would inspect them and ask them if they know anything about the incident. They had no idea what we were talking about. I was quite surprised to hear their car radio playing Modern Talking. How rare is that?

We walked down the road. Gil, the battery's commander, inspected some more houses. Then we gave up the search and left the village. Maybe it was the regiment commander's call, it doesn't matter. Everybody left with empty handed.

How do you find them criminals? You'd need to search the whole village. Even then, nothing is guaranteed. You can't do nothing and wait until they murder someone and hope that this time you'll be there on time.

That way, more Palestinians will feel safe enough to inflict chaos on the Israeli roads, more people will get killed and the murderers will never be found.

First of all, there's the obvious need of maximizing army's chances of catching them in the act. There are many cameras being installed on electric poles and antennas, watching over the hills, the villages and the roads for any hostile activities.

In case they DO get away, the army should pursue them until they're caught... they mustn't feel safe once they committed a crime. Instead, they should count the days before the army gets to them.
















Four Sides Of The Fence

Before leaving Qalqilya in early March 2005, I've had several shifts on the AV patrol. One of our duties during the patrol was opening the gates for Palestinians.

What does it mean? It's only when I got there, I realized the absurdity of the situation. Just about a mile south of Qalqilya there's a fence... The thing is, it doesn't really separate the Israeli lands with the Palestinian ones. Instead, it separates some Palestinian lands and villages from the other. Each day, they are allowed to cross from one side to another at a specific time. At 4pm, we'd open the gates and they'd cross the road between the two fenced sectors. The same happens some time in the morning as well.

The fence was built that way in an attempt to include a settlement inside the Israeli side of the fence. Here's the map: (Red dots = Palestinian towns. Blue dots = Israeli settlements. Red line = seaparation fence. Purple line = 1967 borders.)













Note how much territory inside the west bank was planned to stay on the Israeli side of the fence, just because of a single, tiny settlement in the middle of that pocket.

But now as I can see, some of it has been fixed and parts of the fence were later dismantled as you can see on this updated April 07 map:
http://www.securityfence.mod.gov.il/Pages/Heb/map_heb.htm
Now some of those villages are no longer separated and the fence has been extended further east to include more Israeli settlements in it.

Hezbollah's aggression

Sometime around February, Hezbollah guerillas opened rocket fire on Israeli towns located along the northern border. Immediately after, we were informed to pack our bags and get ready in case we're needed there. Eventually, other forces were sent over there to deal with Hezbollah. Our turn to deal with them was yet to come...

Angel's visit

It's March 2005. We've finished our service in the Qalqiliya sector and moved on to the south for artillery training.

Matan called our team for some briefing and told us what's planned ahead. "Each week, two teams will be released home for a week. Our team will be released next week."

I asked my commander if I could switch with someone from another so that I could be released home exactly when Angel comes to visit. I informed her of the dates. It was time that she ordered the tickets.

Now it depended on her. I crossed my fingers and hoped it would all work out. I've been waiting for this for half a year.

Day after day have passed and I haven't heard a word from her. She wouldn't reply to my messages, she wouldn't answer the phone. What's going on? It's really important that we stay in contact.

Three days remained. It was still unknown whether I'll be allowed to postpone my release home by 1 week.

Eventually, I've managed to reach her by phone. I called her home number. Her mom picked it up and gave her the phone. Angel told me that she's trying to find a flight to Israel but there aren't any available. Those that are available, are way too expensive - over $700. No way. I called my mom and asked her to check this for me. Within half an hour, my mom found a flight from Munich to Tel Aviv for less than $500 with available seats.

I quickly informed Angel and told her I could even order the tickets for her if needed.

But it wasn't the flight. It was something else that stood in our way. "I'm sorry, I can't come to Israel." "Why?" "I have 2 important interviews in hotels. They'll determine my future career."

Yes, she's been planning to enter an apprenticeship program of 3 years and work at a hotel. I wondered why it couldn't wait. Soon enough she'd start working and she might never have the time to come visit me. I guess in some way it could be understood. I know that there's nothing that could stand in our way, as long as we choose to stay together, no matter what. But if we choose other things over each other, there's a chance we might lose this unique relationship. I'd rather find a solution that would make it all work.

The question is, how do we preserve one dream without destroying the others? There has to be a solution to everything..

I had to cope with the disappointment. At first I was angry and upset. My words to her didn't help the situation at all. But I told her I support her no matter what she decides to do in her life. We'll find a way to make it work. I just wish it weren't so sudden. "Why didn't you tell me earlier? I'm searching for flights, I'm asking my commanders and officers to do everything they can so that I would be released home on time." "I didn't want to make you mad, to disappoint you." "Honey, but you know that eventually, you'll have to tell me everything. The longer you wait, the bigger will be my disappointment. Please, always tell me what's on your mind. Don't be afraid to dissappoint me, you know I can never really be mad at you."

I told my commander I no longer need to postpone it.

* * * * *


After a few weeks in the south, we were given our next task - 3 weeks in the northern Jordanian border, near Hamat Gader... The quietest border in Israel.

9 comments:

Tsedek said...

Darn, Israeli Soldier, this doesn't really look like you two were going to end up together :(
Hamad Gader? At least you had some nice baths when you were over there?

IsraeliDiary said...

yeah, I had the opportunity to swim in Hamat Gader one time, but we were divided to 4 bases. One of them was Hamat Gader itself, where the younger soldiers protected the resort.

Tsedek said...

Yo, sweetie, it's time for your new weekly installment here, shabbath already over...

IsraeliDiary said...

Lol. erm... that was the weekly installment. :)

Tomorrow I'm going to the army as a reservist (miluim). Only 5 days, lucky me. :P

When I'm back, I hope I'll have time to write some more.

Thanks for your reading, though. :))

You have a good week!

Tsedek said...

really? but it says august 24th *_*
that was a week ago. . .

take it easy in the army: way too hot and humid to work yourself into sweat :D

WinterScribe said...

I like that line "how do we preserve one dream without destroying the others?" It's very deep. I feel it.

IsraeliDiary said...

Thanks Jess. :)

Tse, it says 24th August because that's when I started writing it. I didn't have the time to finish it so I only finished it a week later.

Yeah, it was very hot in the army! How I hated it to be back to all that stuff. I'm glad it's over. It really makes me consider moving away somewhere. Seriously!

I don't belong there and I can't imagine myself spending the next 20 years drafting every half a year and wasting a total of additional 3 years on the army! I don't even count the years I'm gonna lose due to health problems that the army causes..

Tsedek said...

try to get out of it... i'm sure it can be done? get a lower profile or something, no?

IsraeliDiary said...

Well, I'm thinking about going to the city officer or something. But what am I going to tell him? I'm not gonna lie to him. "Army's not for me" is probably not gonna get me a free passage.

and not going to miluim while most people do is kind of wrong. lol, I hate being in the army but at the same time I can't let myself runaway from it. sigh.